Friday, March 20, 2009

Shackled Life


Overwhelmed with life – I step outside. Then silently I stop, as if walking into a room and interrupting two lovers, I stand looking down the empty street watching the wind shift debris across the ground. As if not to interrupt the leaves, I inch closer quiet and watch the twirling and spinning - A synchronized dance under the brilliant sun. I am hypnotized. If only I could escape in the motion and become part of the performance. Air playful tosses around my hair as an invitation. It’s unbearable to resist joining the chaos of shifting change. Envious of the paper, leaves, and bags suspended in the air as the cell phone in my hand reminds me I am late for work. Remembering the chain on my ankle a mile long with worries, car payment, insurance, rent, bills, work… I limp to the car dragging it with me. Pulling out of the driveway I take one last glance at the dance – I dash away a quick tear and head in the opposite direction reminding myself… I am all grown up.

1 comment:

gsm said...

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in. " - Ricky Fitts